Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Kindness of Strangers

I hit a monster pothole while commuting last week.  It dented the rear rim.  Uh oh, not good.  (click left photo)

The next morning, I asked on the NC rando newsgroup if anyone wanted to sell an old 27" wheel or bike.  Immediately I received four offers and suggestions.  By the next morning, another batch.  People near and far offered to build wheels, to search their sheds for old wheels, or referred me to bikes on Craigslist.  I was amazed.

Offers continued through Sunday afternoon.  Right after I picked up a wheel from Rando Blake (thanks Blake!), I received yet-another offer.  Hard to believe.

Thanks everyone!  I am on the road again (see right photo).

2 comments:

Blade_Rockwall said...

Very happy that we found something that works! That wheel was depressed about being forgotten in a corner and is more than happy to be useful once again. I must admit that I'm a little strange ;) but we're not strangers; we're bike folk.
-"Rando" Blake

dean furbish said...

Saggitandy said, "I am on the road again."

Willie and all his NC randonneuring friends are elated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TD_pSeNelU