Saturday, June 26, 2010

200K meets 200K

Jayjay and I rode the RUSA Tar Heel 200K today, from Benson, NC to Tar Heel, NC, and back. Unlike last week, I remembered to collect my perm card at every checkpoint today. We enjoyed a variety of weather: hot and overcast, hot and sunny, and hot and rainy. We were well prepared with our insulated luggage, ice socks, and indomitable spirits.

We had the privilege of crossing paths with two other randos riding the same route today, Dean and Lin. Jayjay and I started early, and Dean and Lin started a while later. The first time we met was just outside the turnaround point at Tar Heel. Dean and Lin were arriving just as Jayjay and I were departing. We stopped, took photos, gave the secret rando handshakes, and went on our ways. The second time was at the finish in Benson. Jayjay and I barely had time to pack up our bikes and get our cards stamped when Dean and Lin rolled in.

Just don't asked what times we all started.

Click here for photos with captions.

3 comments:

dean furbish said...

I thought I was cool wearing an ice sock. But a trunk cooler filled with ice? How cool is that (in more ways than one)?

Great seeing you and JayJay on the route and having the chance to eat with you afterward!

Vance Ricks said...

You're going to have to teach the rest of us that "secret" handshake...

skiffrun said...

"We enjoyed a variety of weather: hot and overcast, hot and sunny, and hot and rainy."

I was expecting ... "We enjoyed a variety of weather: hot and overcast, hot and sunny, hot and rainy, and just-plain-hot."
------------------------------
I second Dean's comment on a trunk full of ice!
------------------------------
verification word: ruslyog