Monday, May 27, 2013

Bike Kayak Trailer

I designed and built this trailer for a friend. 

I spent a good bit of time thinking about the hitch.  My favorite part is using a short piece of automotive heater hose to wrap around the bike seat post.  It flexes a little, absorbs small shocks, and attaches and removes quickly with no tools.  I like it.

The trailer has a wooden frame with low-speed low-pressure wheels, slightly smaller than wheelbarrow wheels.  They roll nicely and absorb minor shocks.

It's all connected by a long piece of black iron pipe, bent to the contours of the rear bike wheel and the bow of the kayak.  And the pipe swivels in the frame so everything moves.


and the 16-second video:  http://youtu.be/GovHLDrF2eU

With a little paint, and some red blinkies for those full-moon cruises, it'll be all set.  I just hope she doesn't try to back it down the boat ramp...

1 comment:

Tanya Owens said...

This is pretty cool. I am interested in building a trailer for my bicycle (Trek Hybrid 700) to haul a water bike (L 10 feet x W 4.2 feet, weighs 137 pounds)
You can see an image here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XUGC-DspCs8PMKs6moHbi6VKhCfJe7fH

What you recommend I do to be able to accommodate the water bike and still be nimble enough for me to bike about 1 mile to the lake?