Tuesday, December 20, 2011

DIY release mechanism for Sanyo NH-T10 bottom bracket generator


A few weeks ago, I installed a bottom bracket generator on my bike [original post].   At the time, I was in a hurry and did not install the release mechanism.  That means it was engaged all the time.  After my second 200K perm spinning the generator mostly in daylight, I decided I really wanted a release mechanism.

But I didn't want the OEM mechanism.  While the generator comes with a nice latching release lever for the handlebars and long sheathed cable, I won't be turning lights on and off that frequently, I don't need the convenience of remote control, and even I don't want any more things in my cockpit.

So, I made a simple latching mechanism at the generator itself.

Details in photos:  [photos]    35-second video:  [video]

Since I like any excuse to get off my bike during a perm, this should serve me really well...


1 comment:

skiffrun said...

I look forward to the reports of how the contraption(s) perform, MacGyver.