Friday, January 16, 2009

A New PR


I biked to work this morning in a temperature of 15 deg F(-9C). I call it a Personal Record. Friends and family yelling at me call it Purely Ridiculous. My previous record was 22F(-5C), set last winter.

I was wearing the 'right' number of layers. I was comfortable when pedaling, but got cold when I stopped at traffic lights. To reduce wind, I didn't race down hills. By the time I got to work, about 10 miles, hands and feet were doing okay, but my exposed mouth was really cold. I will work on that.

To ride in any colder temps, I would probably need to buy some expensive high-tech bikewear, instead of wearing common street clothes. Given my reluctance to part with cash, I will probably drop out of tomorrow's planned 55 mile (88km) ride, forecast to be 9F(-12C) at 7am. Such a wuss...