Friday, February 15, 2013

Bike Lane Schmutz


Three punctures in one week...

Click on the thumbnail photo to enlarge the image.  Listen to the clicking on this 12-second video.     My rear tire picked up a twisted nail in the bike lane on Cornwallis Rd this afternoon.  I haven't swept the bike lane with my broom lately, so it's full of schmutz.  There's never any debris on roads without bike lanes.  I'd much rather share wide roads with cars than have bike lanes.  Meh.

Last week in Texas, I got a flat in my front tire as I walked my bike up steep hills off-road, in brushy ground cover that turned out to have a harvest of thorns.  I found one thorn in the tire, removed it, and finished my ride.   But when I got home, I discovered there were actually *two* punctures in the tube, which means there was another protrusion somewhere in the tire waiting to puncture the tube as I finished my ride.  I was really lucky those last 30 miles...

No comments: