Saturday, July 11, 2009

Welcome Back Youth

I was ready to drink the Kool-Aid when I first saw this sign. My bicycling partner Jayjay and I were finishing a hot and humid 120 mile bike ride, the RUSA Tar Heel 200, and I could have used a jolt of youthful energy. Luckily I realized the true meaning before I went inside and embarrassed myself.

Overall, today was a perfect summer day for riding in North Carolina. The first third of the trip, from Benson to Stedman, was cool and overcast. It started getting warm on the next third, from Stedman to Tar Heel and back, but remained partly cloudy. It only got uncomfortable on the final third, where scattered rain showers left the roads foggy and steamy. Luckily, we missed the rain itself.

We ate, drank, and stretched well throughout the ride, the bikes worked well, no flat tires, and traffic was extremely cordial. It was a delightful day. Random photos are here: photos

Unfortunately, our spirits were dampened later tonight to learn that one of our local safe-bicycling advocates, Bruce Rosar, had been killed today in a bicycle-car accident. His influence was everywhere, teaching classes, interpreting laws, and lobbying for change. He will be missed.

No comments: